Child Sex Trafficking Screening & Services Act of 2019
Written Testimony– SB688/HB827
Sponsors: Senator Susan Lee and Delegate Brooke Lierman
- Creates a Regional Navigator program which ensures that every sex trafficked individual aged under 25 will have access to immediate and local specialized services
- Requires law enforcement and the Departments of Social Services to refer cases of sex trafficking to a Regional Navigator.
- Requires children involved with the Department of Social Services to be screened for sex trafficking.
Anti-Exploitation Act of 2019
Written Testimony – SB690/HB734
Sponsors: Senator Susan Lee and Delegate Wanika Fisher
- Criminalizes labor trafficking based on the collective experiences of other states and federal law.
- Resembles the Maryland sex trafficking statute by making labor trafficking a felony with a 25-year maximum penalty.
- Grants concurrent jurisdiction to the Attorney General, who will be able to independently investigate and prosecute labor trafficking.
Criminal Law – Human Trafficking & Prostitution Offenses 2019
Written Testimony – SB689/HB871
Sponsors: Senator Susan Lee and Delegate Jesse Pippy
- Moves sex trafficking from the prostitution section of the code the crimes against a person section – further pushing the shift away from thinking that sex trafficking is just prostitution.
- Makes human trafficking a crime of violence, which extends the period before which a person is eligible for parole.
- Fixes several sections of the code to ensure that the definition of sex trafficking laws are clear and able to be enforced.